In this paper you will select a nursing concept from the list provided below.
Empowerment and powerlessness
Hardiness and resilience
Chronic Illness: Stigma
Life span issues of the nurse
Palliative care: children/ adolescents/ older adults
- You will apply the pertinent theoretical concepts to a clinical situation from your past or present nursing experience (not personal life experiences). This paper offers you the opportunity to analyze a practice issue in light of enhanced knowledge and personal awareness. The paper must follow APA format. Marks will be deducted for improper APA format.
- Should you wish to present on a topic not on the above list please consult with your instructor.
- Should there be any issues within the group membership it is an expectation that these issues will be brought to the attention of the course instructors and will be addressed with the members and course instructor.
The application paper should include:
- an introduction to the scope of the paper and a conclusion that captures the essence of your discussion.
- a description of the clinical situation to be analyzed.
- the identification of the relevance of the topic/clinical situation to you both personally and professionally.
- the identification, discussion, and analysis of 2 issues of the concept within the clinical situation.
- discussion of how theory related to the concept (from the scholarly sources/ articles) facilitates your understanding/interpretation of issues/aspects of the clinical situation.
- how your analysis of the clinical situation utilizing theory related to the concept will influence your future nursing practice.
- conclusion/ summary
- theoretical content that must be clearly related to the situation you are discussing
N.B. “Theory” identified in 6. does not refer to Nursing Theory or Theorists (e.g. Watson, Roy and their models). It refers to the scientific information contained in the scholarly readings – those in all readings listed with the class concept and/or any scholarly material related to the concept you have chosen.
Length of paper: 5-6 typewritten pages (excluding title page and reference pages).
Due date of paper: Week 9.
Provided below is a detailed explanation of the requirements of each of the above sections (# 1-9). Should you have any questions about your paper please be sure that you contact your instructor and ask your questions.
Detailed Requirements for Paper
The following provides you with a detailed explanation of the requirements for the paper. Consider this to be the recipe for success in the writing of your paper. I encourage you to print the details included below and follow them carefully as you construct your paper.
You will need to select 1 concept from the list of concepts that are provided above. In consideration of your choice of concept you are encourage to think about one clinical situation you will be presenting/ exploring/ discussing in your paper and ensure that the two are compatible, if they are not
- consider exploring and presenting a different clinical situation.
- consider exploring another concept that is relevant to the situation.
Step 2- Description of Clinical Situation
Write a description of the clinical situation that you are going to present in the paper. This description should not be more than 1/2 page in length. Within this description you should provide an overview of the situation so that the reader has a brief but clear understanding of what occurred in the situation.
Once you have done this, reflect on what you have written and make sure that your description includes the two issues that you are going to talk about latter so that your instructor can clearly see that they existed in the situation.
For example if your paper was about the concept of Music Therapy (note: this is not a concept being covered this year in this course) three issues that might be part of the clinical situation may be: 1) the client experienced a decrease in pain with the use of music therapy; 2) a sense of empowerment with the ability to choose his music and 3) the physiological impact on his blood pressure and pulse from his listening to music.
It is important to remember that sometimes a “concept” can become an issue in another concept. For example “stigma” maybe an issue in the concept of “body image” just as “powerlessness ” maybe an issue in chronic illness.
It is important that the two issues of the concept you are exploring are present in the paper. Remember, this is an application paper, you will be exploring the two issues of the concept through how they presented in the clinical situation not how they present in general within society.
Please note that a definition of a clinical situation for this paper is: the events of 1 client within 1 time frame. This means that you will be talking about 1 person’s experiences during 1 episode/ event of their life.
There are a few clinical situations that have been received in some papers in the past that were not acceptable clinical situations and thus this was reflected in the students’ grades. These included but were not limited to:
- presenting the clinical situation as being: a unit at work, a hospital, a country.
- rather than talking about 1 client presenting more then 1 client in the clinical situation.
- presenting a clinical situation that is not about a client you cared for: rather it is a family member’s experience.
- using yourself as a client in any of the topics not identified as being acceptable to do so.
Remember that this is an application paper you are exploring the concept through the lens of your experience as a nurse and your interactions with a client. This section should not be longer then 1 page in length.
Step 3- Relevance of topic/ situation to Me Personally and Professionally
This step is reflective in nature. We are asking you to reflect on and identify why you chose this concept/ clinical situation to talk about. There was something that stood out above all the other concepts/ experiences that you have had during your professional life and I am interested in hearing about this.
We are interested in hearing about the professional relevance. For example, how will this exploration allow you to grow professionally or what impact did the situation have on you professionally?
We are also interested in hearing how the situation impacted on you as a person. This section in your paper should be no longer than 1/2 page in length.