Take Home Final
Protocol: You are not to discuss or consult with any of your peers after the final is distributed. Doing so is cheating and a violation of the University of Denver’s Honor Code.
When answering questions, please make sure to cite your work. This means providing the author’s full name, page numbers and/or quotation marks when warranted. Failing to do so constitutes plagiarism. You do not need to provide a works cited page or bibliography. However, be weary of overusing direct quotes. Remember that you are being graded on your ability to synthesize and connect authors’ arguments and not on your ability to regurgitate them.
Please note that you will be graded on the content and the quality of your writing. This means spelling, punctuation, and proper grammar will be factored into your grade.
Post by or before Wednesday, 7/21 by or before midnight to the allotted assignment slot on Canvas. Apple users, please DO NOT use .pages Your grade is at risk if I am unable to open your exam. Late exams will not be accepted .
Short Essay Questions: Please note there is not a specific page requirement for each question. However, each question should be supported by texts and given a substantial amount of effort that correlates with the point value.
1) Bad Feminist : Choose three (3) of your favorite (or most interesting) essays from Gay’s book. What did you learn from them? Support your answer by using a minimum of four (4) key terms from the class. Please note you cannot use the same essay you discussed in the Week 2 Discussion thread. (25 points)
Remember to support your answer with specific textual examples from the book AND KEYTERMS!
2) Choose one of the readings from this quarter that you think employs an intersectional analysis. What “intersections” does it examine? What knowledge do we gain by using intersectionality? Be specific. (20 points)
3) Briefly describe the characteristics of 2nd wave and 3rd wave feminism. What were some of the strengths and/or weaknesses of each? Where do you think this leaves “feminism” today (e.g., are we headed towards a 4th wave?) Support your answer with a minimum of two texts. (25 points).
Long-er Essays: 40 points each
1) Stop and think about the various concepts, ideas and issues we have discussed this quarter. Select four (4) specific concepts (or keywords/readings) that you have found most interesting, engaging, and/or challenging. (Please note you cannot use Gay’s essays for this question). How have they made you think differently about your own gendered/sexual identity and the world around you?
· Briefly explain/define the concepts (Refer back to your readings! Be specific!)
· Critically analyze how these concepts have (re)shaped your understanding of your own gendered, sexual, and/or racial identity as well as those of your peers, community, family, etc.
· Have they made you rethink and/or question the world around you? If so, how?
Support your answer with concrete, specific examples. You should cite specific texts when explaining the concepts, but ultimately your answer should be supported with personal experiences, observations, opinions, etc.
Think about the “institutional” and/or large-scale structural influence of gender based violence, marriage/ family, the workplace, or the U.S. Militarism in contemporary U.S. society. Choose one (1) and:
· Explain the gendered and/or sexed, raced, classed dimension of that particular institution
· Analyze how the gendered/sexed/raced/classed dimension(s) of this institution shapes (or challenges?) dominant norms, ideologies, and behaviors of individuals AND U.S society
· Analyze the consequences/impact this particular institution has on individuals and U.S. society
· Anticipate and explain barriers and/or problems with reforming this institution (if you feel it needs reforming…) and provide possible feminist solutions that might address these barriers AND/OR potentially help solve the problem(s) (Note: I don’t expect you to solve these problems with your essay. Instead, utilize the assigned texts and online content from class to frame your answers. YOU CANNOT USE OUTSIDE TEXTS OR SOURCES).